Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Conference weekend! What a shocker!

So let me start out by saying that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is run by the prophet Thomas S. Monson.  And twice a year our church has a world wide television broadcast where he and the other leaders in the church can give us hope and inspiration to be better people.  Conference is Saturday 10am and 2pm and Sunday 10am and 2pm.  I don't think I have ever listened to the Saturday morning session because it is almost always the morning of the marathon and starts when Joel is still running.  This year was no different.  Shayne took the kids over to the finish line to watch for John while I went to the store to get doughnuts and chocolate milk for the kids for breakfast.  I had just pulled up and was trying to carry 2 boxes of doughnuts and 2 bags of little bottles of milk when I got a text from my dearest friend and Primary Pres. Katie Cluff.  All it said was "The prophet has just announce that boys can leave on missions at 18 and girls at 19."  I was shocked!  I instantly called her to make sure I wasn't dreaming and sure enough as soon as she said that it was true I burst into tears.  I threw the stuff back in the van and ran to find Shayne.  I couldn't believe it.  All that she has been through the last year has set her up for this very moment.  The meningitis, the college swim teams not being interested because of the meningitis, the choice to stay at home instead of going to Utah State, the choice to stay home instead of move in with her friend, even the car accident that left us with $3000 to put toward her mission had all lead to this very moment.  I called her so I could find her in the hunderds of people in the park and she was crying too.  Unbelieveable is the only word I can think of to describe it.  Just as I found her my phone rang and it was my mom.  She wanted to make sure we knew too.  My dad was crying too. 
Ever since graduation and her decision to stay home it has seemed like she was in a holding pattern.  All her firends had either just left for missions or were just getting their calls.  She has always wanted to serve a mission but the thought of older guy friends coming home soon and the unknown guys she might meet at Dixie had her a little nervous that she might not make it to the ripe old age of 21 to serve.  So nervous in fact that she and Sophie went to Walmart a couple weeks earlier and she bought an fake engagement ring and wedding band and started wearing them so no one would even try to hit on her. So, this amazing announcement was an answer to many prayers.  As soon as Joel was done running we went over to the finishers pen to find him and Shayne called her bishop.  He was flying out of the country for a week and said that he would meet up with her to start her papers as soon as he got back.  Well, it has been 4 days and we are sick of waiting.  Three girls that Shayne knows already have their papers in and Jaden in working on his.  So, last night Joel went over to the church and asked for her records back in our ward so he can get her started.  It seems only fitting that her dad who is a bishop should send her out.  So, now we are waiting for her records which should only take a day or two and then she can get started!!!  I can't wait to write the follow up on this post!  Stay tuned to see where she goes!

p.s. If you want to know more about the LDS Church the click on my link on the right side of my blog. 

No comments: