Monday, March 5, 2018

Mission Call and New Stake Presidency all in one day!

Let's start with Josh's mission call.  We knew that it had been assigned on Tuesday.  They always are.  So he had been coming home from school and checking the mail everyday because his plan was to take it somewhere and open it by himself.  The problem was that we already had FHE with the Beckstrand's scheduled at our house for Sunday and thought that he should wait until then to open it.  In my mind I thought, "What if I got the mail before him, got it, hid it until Saturday, then put it back in the mailbox for him to get.  That way he could find it and then wouldn't feel bad about waiting 24 hours to open it like Sophie did."  Well, the good Lord had His own plans so that neither of us had to do anything.

Now let me start out by saying that I always knew that Joel was going to be in the stake presidency because of the way the Lord had been preparing us in the last year with our fiances and other things and I had told Joel many times about this. Now let me back up a little before I talk about getting a new stake presidency.  Joel, Konnor and Josh had signed up to do the Spartan Race in Mesquite with John and Brian about a month ago and had going to a friends farm to do specialized workouts a lot.  I had been feeling a little left out and told Joel that I need to schedule a date for night before the Spartan.  On our way to the movie our friend, Joel's old 2nd counselor and now stake High Counselor, Chris Wilson called Joel to ask about a computer program problem.  At the end of their conversation Chris asked Joel what time his interview was for the new Stake Presidency.  Well, Joel had not been called.  Only the current bishops and the high counselors had interviews.  Chris thought that was weird.  Joel was elated.  I was wondering when the phone was going to ring.  After they got off the phone I told Joel that Chris was probably going to go tell the stake president that Joel needed an interview.   We went into the movie and sat down.  I told Joel to check his phone before he turned it off just to make sure.  Lo and behold, president Koeven had called but not left a message.  I told Joel to hurry out and call him but he didn't.  Well the movie didn't start and didn't start.  It was 15 minutes late and I told him that it was a sign.  He said that if it was important, he would have left a message.  So, we sat there and the movie started without any trailers because it was so late.  AND THEN STOPPED.  I told Joel that it was another sign and that he'd better hurry.  He told me to stop.  Then the movie started up again.  He was relieved until it immediately stopped AGAIN!  Then they shut it down and started the trailers because there was a problem.  Joel got up and walked out to call Brother Koeven.  He was gone for 15 minutes and I was just getting ready to get up and leave to find him when he walked back in and the movie started.  He said that he called brother Koeven back and he didn't answer so he left a message and waiting to see if he'd return his call.  He didn't.  So we watched the movie and with 10 minutes left Joel's phone buzzed.  When we got to the car Brother Koeven had left a 2 minute message!  We sat in the van and listened to him say that it was very important that Joel go to a BSA meeting tomorrow at 2:30 because Brother Koeven was being released and would not be there so Joel needed to cover that meeting. Joel said that he never loved Boy Scouts of America more than right at that very moment.  Joel thought that he was free and clear I still waited.

The next morning I got up and took Ben and David to their rugby tournament and Joel and Josh went with Konnor to Mesquite.  We got done at 12:30.  Followed Shayne back to her house, picked her up and went to get lunch then go home to let David change into his soccer stuff for his first soccer game of the season.  As we were driving down the street toward out house Ben said who's that?  Sure enough someone in a dark suit was standing in our driveway.  I knew it!  It was President Ellsworth.  I did not receive a phone call.  Joel did not receive a phone call.  President Ellsworth just walked on over to our house.  I parked and got out of the van and said, "Wow, your are someone's worse nightmare on a day like today."  He just laughed and asked where my husband was.  I told him that he was still in Mesquite.  He asked if I could get a hold of him and I just laughed and said I could try.  I asked Shayne to try to call Konnor and I tried Joel and Josh but all of their phones were off.  Then President Ellsworth said, "Here is my phone number, call me as soon as you here from him and let me know when the two of you can change into appropriate clothing and meet with us up at the stake center."  I said OK and he took off running back up to the church. 40 minutes later I got a hold of him and we figured out that it would be 3 o'clock by the time Joel showered, changed and got up to the church.  So I called and let him know and he said ok.  So, while I waited I decided to go check the mail.  This is what I saw.
What a crazy day.  Before I knew it the boys were home.
At 3:00 we went to the stake center and met with Area 70 Steven Bangerter and Elder Larry J. Echo Hawk General Authority 70.  Brother Bangerter took Joel in the other room to talk and I sat down with the GA!  He was very sweet and he gave me a worthiness interview much like a temple interview, with a few extra things.  Then we talked about my kids and I told him that Josh had just received his call.  He asked where he was going and I told him that he had just gotten it 5 minutes ago.  Then Joel and Elder Bangerter came in and talked about Josh's call too.  Elder Bangerter said that we needed to call them or text them and tell them when he opens it.  I was impressed that they would care about it.  There are literally THOUSANDS of missionaries.  Then a call was issued to Joel as 2nd Counselor in the Washington Utah Stake Presidency.  Emerson Carnivale was called as President and Noel Jackson was called as 1st Counselor.  What an amazing experience.  As we left there an idea popped into my head that while everyone was there for Joel's setting apart that we might as well open Josh's call right then and there with both 70's present.  So, at 8am the next morning at our first of many meetings as the new stake presidency and wives I invited Elder Bangerter and Elder Echo Hawk to be there while we opened Josh's call.  They were excited.  Here is what happened. 


Here are some picture's that Ruben took for us from the back of the gym.

 
 Perfect picture with Josh and Joel. 


No comments: