Wednesday, September 12, 2012

20 incredible years!

Can you believe it?  20 years ago Joel and I were married!  Wow!  I have been with Joel for half of my life!  Crazy!  He's a glutton for punishment.  We planned to take the motorcycle up to Zion, stay overnight and climb Angels Landing.  Well, yesterday it rained and rained and rained.  In fact Santa Clara flooded. So we took the van instead.  It just left us planning a trip up there later on the bike. This is how it looked when we got up there.


We figured that Angels Landing was out of the question too because of the weather but could still do a little hiking on the smaller trails.  So I didn't pack any kind of water, sun screen, hats or even tennis shoes. We drove up, checked into our place, ate dinner at Oscars (the most incredible food ever!)  and then went to the IMAX theatre and watched the Bourne Supremacy.  It was awesome!  Then went back to the hotel.  Here is a picture of our room.  It was really cool.

As luck would have it the sun came out today!  We checked out of our room and we went to see how far up Angels Landing we could get before we had to be back in St. George to pick up the rental car that has taken a week for the insurance to get for us. Joel also had flag football practice at 6pm, because he coaches Ben's team, Mutual at 7pm and then he and Brain are going for a run at 9pm (he's a busy man). So we hopped on the shuttle and started up "The Grotto" to Angels Landing.  Right as we started a stranger stopped me and asked me if we wanted some water.  My little prayer was answered.  I was secretly scared to death about not having any water with us because I didn't want to get dehydrated and get a migraine.  He handed me 2 bottles and was the answer so we could continue on.  It was a lung busting hike up the trail.  Then you get to Walter's Wiggles seen here.  It was a dozen little switchbacks that went straight up the side of the mountain.  And here is a cute little flower I just had to take a picture of.
 


  I do much better actually scrabbling up rocks than I do walking at a 45 degree angle on a paved trail and once we got up to the top I was ready to go.  Joel was not.  He is the level headed one who said that we didn't have enough time to actually ascend the .5 mile mountain straight up.  This first picture is from where we stopped and the next one is zoomed up to the top of Angels Landing.  If you look close you can see the chain that you hold on to to make it to the top. 




I love this picture!



So we are planning a trip back when we can spend the day on the 5 mile hike, taking our time, going clear to the top and enjoy ourselves.




Isn't he gorgeous!  I am so lucky that he puts up with me.  I can't wait to see what the next 20 years brings.
 









No comments: