Thursday, September 23, 2010

Exercise Balls for chairs



Ben's teacher has taken out all of their chairs from the classroom. The kids sit on these perfect little white exercise balls that fit under their desk. And Ms.Rogers has a big green ball like this blue one. She gave the students all a paper plate to keep in their desk to use for when they leave for recess, lunch or to go home to put the ball on so it doesn't roll around. We've all seen these balls and probably own one.

She has had an amazing response from the kids and since I volunteer on Wednesday's I've seen a huge change. The kids that have ADHD or any kind of problem learning have totally calmed down and are finishing there homework faster than the other kids. I have always had a problem with this one particular kid that is in our ward that can't sit still or stay quiet but yesterday he was a different boy. He sat there barely bouncing and wrote down three sentences in the 10 minutes allotted without any problem. Usually he wouldn't get through one complete sentence because he couldn't hold still for that long. I wanted to cry to see the change in him. It's like a wall fell down for him. I couldn't believe it. Ms. Rogers is getting her Masters degree and is doing this for her thesis. She told me that it works really well as long as every once in a while they get to bounce. So, she turns on the music and they can bounce like crazy on them for one song. That way they look forward to it and know that they won't be able to if they bounce at any other time. She also said that it will help a lot of them with their balance and helps her burn of 350 calories a day. I think that's a win win situation! I hope she keeps them all year. I love how open minded Burke Staheli is as a Principal. He truly is there for the kids. He will do pretty much anything for them. I LOVE this school!!!

2 comments:

natalie ☮ said...

Where do I sign up? It sounds like something that belongs at Tuacahn!

Kris said...

SERIOUSLY!!! I need one of these for Scott at school! Academically he's doing great, but behaviour wise he struggles staying still and focusing. Hmmmmm.....