Saturday, July 15, 2017

Mighty Eagle!

So I asked Jan if she would make this awesome cake for Josh for his Eagle court of honor but she was already making a wedding cake while she was down here for someone so she told me to do it.  So, I thought, "Why not!"  I used to decorate cakes all the time.  But life got busy.  I liked this cake but not the Eagle head so Sophie and I looked online for a different one and found this one.   We decided to try a week a head of time to do a trial run just to make sure we knew what the heck we were doing. 
Image result for eagle cake 

So this is what we started with.  We wanted it to be the Mighty Eagle from the Angry Birds Movie.  I had the song stuck in my head the entire time!  Rice Crispy head with modeling chocolate over it.
 What we ended up with was Sam the Eagle meets Toucan Sam from Fruit Loops.  So, thanks to a suggestion from Abby,  we moved his eye forward, took some fat off of his neck, added more white and shorted his beak.  That made him look more regal, less cartoony.
 Day of...Perfection.  Looks a little more cartoony that the first but looks good!


 This is him in the only spot left in my fridge for the luncheon tomorrow and here is a picture of the Mighty Eagle that Sophie drew on Jopsh's back at the last swim meet for him.
 Then Sophie and Josh traded places.  Sophie went to work and Josh came home from work.  Our house constantly smells like chlorine.  So, Josh helped put the cake together.  It was a blue velvet cake with M&M mini's in the center and white butter creme frosting and a white cake with a raspberry filling with red vanilla frosting.  So, a Blue and White bottom layer and a White and Red middle layer covered in marshmallow fondant.  With the Mighty Eagle on top!

 We transported it separately to the church and then stacked it there.  It wasn't professional but it was good enough for who it was for.  I was pretty proud of out little team.  We did a great job!  Don't ask me how it tasted.  I didn't get to have a piece.  We had to leave as soon as it was over because Brad got us tickets to see Mama Mia out at Tuacahn.  It was a busy day.


I cannot tell you how happy I am that this id done!  I am proud of all of Josh's hard work.  I wish he had a leader that would have made it easier.  But such is life.  It's a great lesson to learn now.  If you want something done.  Do it yourself.  Don't wait for someon else to do it for you.

No comments: