Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day

Lehi is the only place to spend Memorial Day.  You get a great history and family History lesson.  We started up at Aunt Mary Lou's Grave in Bingham area in a graveyard that is not kept by anyone.  It's sad really that the city doesn't take care of it.
 There are a lot of graves like this one there.  Sad really. 
Then we went to the Utah Veterans Memorial Park to visit with Aunt Millie.

I just love that cemetery.  It's so amazing to see all the families that come to see their loved ones and those who laid down there lives for us.  
This is where the cremated bodies were. 
  While we were there we saw Lori Hinckley's grandma and grandpa Olson.  Grandpa Ed and I shared a birthday.  I was particularly close to him.  I tended to cling onto any Grandpa that would let me but Ed and I were birthday buddies.  I left him a Penny. 
 This monument was right there so we stopped to read it and it made Grandpa cry. 
Then we headed off to Lehi's cemetery to find our closest relatives. My Grandma and Grandpa Shelton.
 My grandpa's Sister.  Another Aunt Mille.  She was the one who my dad would go visit in Canada in the summer. 
 Aunt Ellen who JoEllen is named after.  Grandpa's other sister.
 Freddy Shelton.  Grandpa's Brother. 
 Aunt Rita.  She and Aunt Ellen are the only ones I remember.  And of course Uncle Fletcher.  His burial sight is here in St. George.  He is the youngest brother.  He took care of my dad the most. 
 Then we walked over to see Max and Katie.  Best buds.  
 The three stooges, checking out gmas and gpas headstone.  It's pretty amazing!
 Then before we left I had to go see my BFF.  Jason. 
I love being in Lehi for Memorial Day.  It's my version on Dia de los Muertos.  Hopefully they are all hanging out there too just waiting to see who will stop by to see them. 

No comments: