Sunday, May 6, 2018

STATE SOCCER PLAYOFFS! WE MADE IT!

Their goal this year was to make it to play offs and they did it!  They went it last place and therefore had to play a first place team, Orem.  It was on Thursday, May 3rd.  If they won they were going to just find a hotel and stay up there until the next game on Saturday.  But, that didn't work for us.  Friday morning Konnor graduated from DSU and Saturday was Ironman and PVHS Sr. Ball.  So Josh had no choice but to come home after that game, win or loose.  So, since David had a kayaking merit badge that he didn't want to miss, Ben had rugby practice and Joel had to work, Joel got to stay home and be me while I drove up early to the game by myself.  It turned out great because I really needed those 4 hours alone to just relax after a super stressful Ironman and other stuff going on week.  I got up early and left an hour before the bus so that I could get to my parents house and spend time with them.  I took 3 pair of Josh's suit pants (2 suit, 1 tuxedo) so my mom could hem them.  Now he's all set.  Then we went out to eat lunch and then went over to Orem to watch the game.

It was a super close first half.  1-1 and our point was actually earned.  They got theirs on a penalty kick that never should have happened. Halfway through the second half the game fell apart.  Their team could see that they might not win and you could tell that they we nervous because they were just kicking the ball out of bounds every time they got it.  So, they starting flopping like crazy to get the ball back and the ref totally gave it to them every single time!  It was ridiculous.  So, of course our boys, Kelvin, got mad and started a slew of yellow cards. Kelvin deserved the yellow card for his mouth but after that anyone who complained at all, got a card.  We never got in a fight with the other team.  They were polite boys.  They let their ref do the fight for them.   Coach Duckworth even got carded.  That's how bad it was.  It was a joke.  They score twice more on corner kicks because Riley got tackled by their players.  You should have heard Helen.  Oh man.  You could tell that Orem High School's team was number 1 because of the ref, not because of the team.  They really weren't that good.  Anyway, the final score was 5-1.  Josh and Gonzo played for the last 10 minutes.

The Sr. Boys were given time to say a few words...Alex started as captain.  He cried.  It was sad.  
Riley said some words next.  He got a little choked up.  Then Josh and Kelvin both said a few things. 
Gonzo was last.  He was crying just sitting there listening.  He didn't want the season to end.  I went up to him after and gave him a big hug.  
He stood up next to Riley and told everyone how awesome they were and to always remember that.  
Then Riley made him laugh. 

Then they had one last team cheer and went to the locker room to change.  I went to pull the van around to get Josh and as I was walking away I noticed Brandon Dye standing alone crying.  So, I went over to him and gave him a big hug.  His mom couldn't make it to the game and I could tell that he needed it.   So sad for some of those seniors but, now they can all go back home and go to Sr. Ball on Saturday!
 We had a gorgeous view of Timp!
You can't see this picture of Josh and Gonzo hugging because Stefanie walked right in the way at the wrong time.  But on the bright side I got a picture of Stef and Traxton! 

I was so glad that my Dad and Mom could come support Josh.  It was a crazy day but it's always wonderful if family is around!




No comments: